The “Best Local Pie” contest is based on using as much local ingredients as possible in the pie. We want the contestants to be creative and use everything from eggs to nuts, to a variety of tropical fruits and or spices. Recipes must indicate source of the local product as well.
May 1 – 10, 2015 Announcements via local media/social media regarding the contest
May 12, 2015 – Will start accepting recipes from the public.
June 20, 2015 Deadline for recipes. All recipes must be emailed to HFBF or snail mailed to the HFBF office before midnight on June 20.
July 3, 2015 Contestants will be notified if they are one of three finalists. Finalists must bring two baked pies to the Farm Fair on Saturday, July 11, 2015. The judging will be featured on the main stage.
July 11, 2015 The pies will be judged live, on-site by a panel of judges.
The winner will be judged live at the Hawaii State Farm Fair on Saturday, July 11, 2015 by a distinguished panel of judges.
The winner will receive a blue ribbon along with a cash prize of $500, a $200 gift certificate from Big City Diner, and a Hawaiian Host Gift Basket valued at $100.
The second place winner will receive a $200 cash prize, a $100 gift certificate from Big City Diner, and a Hawaiian Host Gift Basket valued at $50.
The third place winner will receive a $100 cash prize, a $50 gift certificate from Big City Diner, and a Hawaiian Host Gift Basket valued at $50.
40% Use of local ingredients (need to indicate source of local ingredient i.e. brand, source of purchase)
10% Aesthetic quality
Enter an original dessert pie recipe (both crust and filling) using as much local ingredients as possible!
Open to individuals 21 years of age or older (birth date required)
- Entrants should be home bakers and non-professionals
- Entries need to include:
- Entrant’s contact information (name, address, phone, email, birth date)
- Name of pie
- Ingredients list with measurement (including brand name or source of local ingredients
- Clear step-by-step preparation and cooking instructions
- All entries must be received by June 20, 2015.
- Submit entries by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Hawaii Farm Bureau
Best Local Pie Recipe Contest
P.O. Box 253
Kunia, Hawaii 96759
- Judging will be based on the following criteria:
Use of local ingredients 40 points
Taste 40 points
Overall appearance 10 points
Creativity 10 points
- Three recipes will be chosen by our culinary panel. The three finalists must be able to bring two baked pies to the Hawaii State Farm Fair on Saturday, July 11, 2015 to be judged by a panel of distinguished judges.
- First place winner will be awarded a blue ribbon, $500 cash. First runner-up will receive $200 cash. Second runner-up will receive $100 cash.